A man has been flown to Mackay Hospital after he was reportedly stung by a jellyfish in the Whitsundays.
It’s believed the 49-year-old was in ankle-deep water at Catseye Beach on Monday morning when the Irukandji stung his foot.
The potentially deadly stinger is smaller than a $2 coin and more of them are expected in our beaches in the coming months.
Stinger season is officially meant to start next week.
Eimeo Surf Lifesaving Club’s Ross Gee is urging beachgoers to be on alert.
“This time of year, early November, usually get all the little ones coming out of the creek. By Christmas they can be up to a fist size and then they get up to a basketball size by May,” he says.
Mr Gee is stressing the importance of stinger suits.
“Every time you get in the car you don’t expect to get in an accident and you put your seatbelt on because if you do get in an accident it doesn’t stop you getting injured it just minimises it,” he says.
“Any bit of any synthetic clothing that you have over your skin will prevent the tentacle venom getting into your system.
“You watch families go into the water and the parents that allow the kids to go in unsuited … it’s irresponsible.
“There’s no other word for it. They’re putting their kids at a life-threatening risk.”