A Severe Thunderstorm Warning for damaging winds, large hailstones and heavy rainfall has been issued for people in parts of Central Coast and Whitsundays and Central Highlands and Coalfields Forecast Districts.
Severe thunderstorms about the central coast this afternoon.
A trough lingering near the Queensland coast is generating severe thunderstorms about central coastal districts this afternoon.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce damaging winds, large hailstones and heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding in the warning area over the next several hours. Locations which may be affected include Mackay, Sarina, Nebo and Eungella.
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services advises that people should:
* Move your car under cover or away from trees.
* Secure loose outdoor items.
* Never drive, walk or ride through flood waters. If it’s flooded, forget it.
* Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
* Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm.
* Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
* For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132 500.