A Severe Thunderstorm Warning for destructive winds, large hailstones and heavy rainfall has been issued for people in Central Coast and Whitsundays and parts of Northern Goldfields and Upper Flinders, Herbert and Lower Burdekin, Central Highlands and Coalfields and Central West Forecast Districts.
Weather Situation: A moist unstable airmass and a trough have triggered thunderstorms this afternoon and are expected to continue in the evening.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce damaging, locally destructive winds, large hailstones and heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding in the warning area over the next several hours. Locations which may be affected include Mackay, Proserpine, Charters Towers, Bowen, Townsville and Hamilton Island.
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services advises that people should:
* Move your car under cover or away from trees.
* Secure loose outdoor items.
* Never drive, walk or ride through flood waters. If it’s flooded, forget it.
* Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
* Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm.
* Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
* For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132 500.